Friday, December 17, 2010

[android-developers] Re: Anybody seen a slowdown in sales?

I have seen a drastic slowdown in sales over the past few days as
well, on the order of 50%. Basically back to what they were in Nov
2009. I didn't change the price or the app. Yesterday, I added a
promotional graphic, and did an update to ad support for the Nook
Color and the Nexus S thinking that might help. No luck, today is
just as bad.

I was thinking that maybe people are busy holiday shopping, but
looking at last year's sales over the same period did not show a
slump.

Kind of a coincidence that it seems to correspond to a major market
overhaul. I can still see my apps on all my various devices, so I
can rule that out as a potential problem.

On Dec 17, 7:36 pm, Brad Gies <rbg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's not logical, but from reading a lot of marketing stuff over the
> last 40 years, I think I can tell you what the problem is...
>
> Most people kind of round stuff off in their minds... and normally to a
> multiple of $5..... SO.. $8.99 rounds to $10... while $7.99 rounds to
> $5, so physiologically speaking you have doubled your price. ;).
>
> Just a rough stab at telling you why is that most people ignore the .99
> part of a price (unless it is very close to a multiple of $5, so $9.99
> is $10, $4.99 is $5 etc.)... so $8.99 becomes $8 and rounds to $10,
> while $7.99 becomes $7 and rounds to $5.
>
> Can't guarantee it... and the only way you will know for sure is to
> change the price back to $7.99 and see if sales come back to normal. I
> can tell you that price points are incredibly important in marketing,
> and even more important in the low range of prices.
>
> Hopefully, it's a market glitch... but if it doesn't solve itself... try
> putting the price back.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Brad Gies
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Bistro Bot - Bistro Blurbhttp://bgies.com           http://nocrappyapps.comhttp://bistroblurb.com     http://forcethetruth.comhttp://ihottonight.com
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Everything in moderation, including abstinence (paraphrased)
>
> Every person is born with a brain... Those who use it well are the successful happy ones - Brad Gies
>
> Adversity can make or break you... It's your choice... Choose wisely - Brad Gies
>
> Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can
> change the world. Indeed. It is the only thing that ever has - Margaret Mead
>
> On 17/12/2010 6:34 PM, Zsolt Vasvari wrote:
>
>
>
> > My sales have started to decline about 10 days ago and now they are at
> > about 50% compared to then.
>
> > Has anybody seen anything like this with their own apps?  I am at a
> > loss as I cannot see a reason for this -- my ratings are as high as
> > ever, no 1-stars to scare people off, no "hot" competitor app.  I did
> > increase the price by $1 about 14 days ago, but that actually lead to
> > more sales for a few days after, so I don't know.  The $1 increase is
> > from $7.99 to $8.99, so percentage-wise it's not that much.
>
> > As I am typing, I'm going on a 5 hour without a sale lull, with only a
> > couple of "Declined authorizations."  I've evem seen an 11-hour lull
> > also which has never happened since day one.
>
> > I mean it's possible that my app has run its course and most people
> > who wanted it had bought it or a competitor's, but that's pretty hard
> > to believe.
>
> > Anybody with any insights?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment