Thursday, December 23, 2010

[android-developers] Re: supporting only resolutions >= 320x480

As you can see , I don't dig this 'density' Android weirdness too
much :)

No, as i said before: the bigger resolution, the better levels.
1280x600 ? Bring it on, baby! I've tested, the levels look and feel
great. I've tested 640x360, 480x854, what have you, all works great,
as long as it is >=320x480. 501x501? Very well!

I know I could detect at runtime if I have <320x480 and downscale the
graphics, but according to http://developer.android.com/resources/dashboard/screens.html,
the screen sizes that I don't support ( small screen + normal screen
with ldpi ) consist of 2.3+0.4% = 2.7% of all devices that contact the
Market, so quite frankly, I have simply decided not to bother.

So right now it looks like my best bet is to rule out the 240x320 guys
with 'smallScreens=false' and simply do not bother with 240x400 and
240x432 ( are there any devices with such weird resolutions in the
field anyway? There must be some as the link above gives 0.4%, but I
could not find any )

L.

On Dec 24, 10:46 am, Dianne Hackborn <hack...@android.com> wrote:
> That just isn't how it works.  A 240x400 ldpi screen should be treated as
> the *exact* *same* space as a 320x533 screen which should be treated as the
> *exact* *same* space as a 480x800 screen.
>
> The only difference is density, which means less or more graphical detail.
>  Not UI/level complexity
>
> You shouldn't be making your level complexity more complicated due to
> changes in density.  Taking an extreme -- from ldpi to xhdpi -- this would
> result in a UI so tiny (but with a ton of stuff on it) at xhdpi that it is
> impossible to use or possibly even see.
>
> This is the reason why we split things between density and screen size.
>  They are fundamentally different things, and you need to take both into
> account.  As I said, the platform already has various facilities to scale
> graphics for you, but if you need to it is pretty easy to do yourself -- if
> you are using OpenGL you could probably just do it at runtime; otherwise,
> it's just a matter of generating a new bitmap with the scaled image and
> throwing away the original.
>
>
>
> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Utumno <lkoltun...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Because I don't scale my graphics , and I don't let the system do it
> > either :)
>
> > My reason: actually I could make the UI work in 240x400 and 240x432,
> > the problem is with game area.
> > The app is a game where infinitely many levels are created pseudo-
> > randomly. The bigger resolution, the more complicated and generally
> > speaking better levels get created. At 320x480, the game is playable,
> > at 480x800 , it is excellent and I DONT want to upscale the graphics
> > because that would simplify the levels back to more or less 320x480
> > level, thus making the game worse.
>
> > On 240x320, I still could make the game work by downscaling the
> > graphics, but how do I do it? Then I would have to
>
> > - downscale on 240x320, 240x400 and 240x432
> > - do *not* resize on >=320x480
>
> > If I can do the above, then excellent, my game would work everywhere.
> > If not, I have to somehow rule out all the resolutions smaller than
> > 320x480.
>
> > L.
>
> > On Dec 24, 10:23 am, Dianne Hackborn <hack...@android.com> wrote:
> > > Why would it not work on 240x400?  That is just a density change; if you
> > > don't scale your graphics, the platform can do it for you.
>
> > --
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> > Groups "Android Developers" group.
> > To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> > android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com<android-developers%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com>
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en
>
> --
> Dianne Hackborn
> Android framework engineer
> hack...@android.com
>
> Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to
> provide private support, and so won't reply to such e-mails.  All such
> questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and
> answer them.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment